Since 2006, SinCo has integrated environment, social and governance (ESG) factors into investment processes for institutional investors, stock exchanges and international organizations promoting long-term sustainable investment performance. Our mission? Design investments for a sustainable world that makes the investment case for long-term performance by integrating all externalities to accurately price tomorrow's growth and make a positive investment impact. Our work is to stimulate our clients' best new developments with our original thinking on how to make sustainable investment and integration of ESG factors happen so our clients' deliver global best practice to their investors and stakeholders. More effective ESG enables our clients' to deliver global best practice to their investor clients, building long-term shared value for their stakeholders.
INVESTORS, NOT COMPANIES
SinCo will only accept design mandates for a client with long term aspirations and to which we may guarantee quality work. We therefore have the freedom to pay attention to each unique client, from design to rollout. We only work in the investment value chain – from asset owner to investor relations through the stock exchanges or strategic sale. SinCo does not work for companies, except where we deal directly with the investment function within companies or are building bridges with the investor relations role at companies.
BENCHMARKING USUAL FOR UNUSUAL CLIENTS
SinCo clients are typically looking for new thinking, benchmarking against best practice, and designing new ESG investment architecture. We work on the investment and investment infrastructure sides of the investment - business paradigm, not for companies, except where we deal directly with the investment function within companies or are building bridges with the investor relations role at companies [similar to our work with WBCSD for the "Translating ESG into Sustainable Value" project 2008/9].
HELPING CLIENTS BE BETTER INVESTORS
Since 2006, SinCo has designed and developed sustainable investment architecture for institutional investors, international organizations, stock exchanges and asset owners for clients ranging from institutional investment managers like AIG Global Investment Group with a trillion-dollar, global multi-asset class portfolio (2006-2008), to international organizations like the International Finance Corporation (2009-2013).
CLIENTS WE CAN TALK ABOUT
Publicly disclosed engagements include:
- Launching the Principles for Responsible Investment Emerging Markets Project in 2007-2008 for the UN Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) in Geneva
- Designing the Access to Nutrition Index with the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN), the Wellcome Trust and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation 2008-2013
- Developing the Istanbul Stock Exchange Sustainability Index 2010-2013 with the Istanbul Stock Exchange, Turkish Business Council for Sustainable Development and Sustainable Asset Management
- Designing, producing and presentation official UN FCCC COP17 side event in Durban, South Africa in 2011, we produced and presented the major Responsible Investment Roundtable Side-Event and produced the Sustainable Settlements Facility seminar for the Development Bank of Southern Africa.
- Analyzing the institutional investment value chain in South Africa for the IFC.
- Research on portfolio risks from climate change amongst institutional investors for WWF-SA and WWF-UK.
- Major consulting engagements in sustainable investment resulting in published research include leading the IFC-funded research into private equity and general asset management ESG strategies in sub-Saharan Africa in South Africa, Kenya and Nigeria (2009-2011), "Sustainable Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa Report"
- “Dirty Feet: Portfolio Carbon” (2011-2012), a paper on carbon-pricing impacts and policy implications for investors in South Africa’s 40 largest listed companies.
- In 2010-2011 Graham was expert advisor to the China-Africa Impact Investing Forum project led by Gordon Institute for Business Science & Frontier Advisory, and presented a lecture on "Sustainable Mining" to the China-Africa Development Fund.
- In 2014, Graham has been a strategic advisory on investment research for African Development Bank.
Forthcoming reports are "Defining Momentum: The retirement fund investment value chain and the state of ESG in South Africa" providing the intellectual underpin for the Sustainable Returns Project, and "Shuffling Feet: Institutional Investor Attitudes To Climate Change Portfolio Risks" for the WWF-SA and WWF-UK using the GEPF as case study.