2nd Annual Africa ESG Investment Forum 2012
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) and Impact Investment Issues, JSE Auditorium, Sandton, Johannesburg, 22 August 2012
@africonomie @mncapital @mncapitalmarkets @AfricaSIF @SinCoESG #AfricaESG2012
SinCo works as a project partner to the Africonomie MNCapital team producing their 2nd Africa Pensions and Sovereign Funds Investment Forum: The Premier Investment Funds and Asset Management Network. Bringing together over 200 frontier and emerging markets investment professionals institutional investors, and policy-makers. This page captures our event collaboration. Follow on #APSFIF2013 tweets on @africonomie @mncapital @mncapitalmarkets @AfricaSIF @SinCoESG as well as @ESGarchitect.
2nd Annual Africa ESG Investment Forum scheduled to take place at the Johannesburg Stock Exchange Auditorium on the 22nd of August 2012. Following the succession of the last year inaugural event on the 5th of August 2011 at the JSE, that attracted Asset Owners and Investment Managers across the continent themed "Green Growth Paradigm for Africa – Investment Strategies for Sustainable Value Creation", this 2012 Forum will be better and bigger and will review market trends, industry developments and innovations transforming the industry.
Confirmed Local and International companies so far include, GEPF, JSE, UNPRI, RisCura, AngoGold Ashanti, Sanlam Investment Management, POA, GES Invest Denmark, Argon Asset Management, Standard Bank, CDC Group, Aureos Advisers Limited, Arisaig Partners,SAMWU, FAWU, NUMSA, NUM, SASBO, SATAWU, SACTWU.
Africa ESG Investment Forum is Africa’s leading networking and learning event on Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) and Impact Investing. The 2012 Africa ESG forum brings together asset owners, asset managers, pension funds and regulators, financial services and banking groups, corporates, stock exchanges and service providers to discuss how ESG factors may impact the risk and return of their investments, provide transparency into their ESG practices and evaluate emerging trends in impact investing.
Please note that due to the interactive nature of this event, seats are limited and early booking is essential. And feel free to contact me on the details below for more information.
2nd Annual Africa ESG Investment Forum
08:00 Registration and Morning Coffee
- Graham Sinclair, Principal, SinCo - Sustainable Investment Consulting and President, AfricaSIF.org
- Nicky Newton-King, Chief Executive Officer, Johannesburg Stock Exchange
Overview of ESG and Impact Investing in Africa (Focus on sub-Sahara Africa)
- Ms Wanjiru Kirima, Chair, Sustainable Returns for Pensions and Society
09:20 Understanding and Managing the Risk and Opportunities of ESG and Impact Investing
- • What are the existing framework for understanding and measuring ESG risks?
- • Assessing ESG risks in pensions and retirement funds investment portfolios
- • How can the analysis of ESG risk be integrated into the management process?
- • Can extra financial and investment ratings be used to assess and measure ESG risks?
- • Measuring the impact and return on investment of Impact Investing
- Jon Duncan, ESG Analyst, Old Mutual Investment Group
- Reana Rossouw, Managing Director, Next Generation Consultants
- TBA, TBA, TBA
10:40 Integrating ESG into Investment Process and Business Strategy – A Practical Approach
- • Justifying the rationale for Integrating ESG into the Investment and business Process
- • Frameworks for integrating ESG into Investment process and business strategy
- • Strategies for ESG Integration – A practical approach to making ESG work for investors in Africa
- • ESG Risk Management - effective portfolio analytic framework and company level ESG risk
- • Evaluating possible ESG implementation plan for asset owners and their managers
- Andrew Canter, Chief Investment Officer, Futuregrowth Asset Management
- James Brice, Managing Director, Environmental Business Strategies
- Professor Bonita Meyersfeld, Director, Associate Professor, The Wits School of Law, the Centre for Applied Legal Studies
- TBA, TBA, TBA
11:40 The Role of Exchanges in the Regional Integration of ESG – Focus of Regional Collaboration and Diversity
- Corli le Roux, Head of SRI Index and Sustainability, Johannesburg Stock Exchange
10:00 PRI Update – Making ESG work in Africa
- • What are the unique challenges of promoting ESG in Africa (and other emerging markets)?
- • How to Improve your ESG Communications to Investor Stakeholders?
- • Waking up to a new world: What impact has the application of social networks had on ESG investing?
- • Reporting and Assessment – making ESG disclosure feasible in Africa
- Lorenzo Saa, Head of Reporting and Assessment, PRI
- Maria Tinelli, Head of Networks, PRI
11:20 Networking and Refreshment Break
12:10 Focus on Sector Awareness of ESG issues – Retail and Energy Sector
- • Overall perspective on the understanding of ESG issues in sector focused investment
- • Human considerations in sector investment: How to turn reputational risk into commercial opportunity
- • Measurement of Impact Investment - highlighting best practices and challenges around social performance
- TBA, TBA, TBA
14:40 Evaluating the Link between Institutional investments and ESG Sovereign Ratings
- • Investing for impact in Africa markets - What is Impact? Macroeconomic context and opportunities
- • How does ESG factors affect sovereign borrowing? Can mainstreaming ESG considerations soften sovereign debt risks?
- • Understanding how these issues impact sovereign credit ratings, foreign direct investment and capital markets
- • Evaluating the impact of ESG issues on fixed income investment
- Daniel Broby, Chief Investment Officer, Silk Invest
- TBA, TBA, TBA
15:20 Private equity and Hedge fund perspective on ESG Integration
- • An LPs perspective - How can GPs effectively integrate ESG?
- • How can institutional investors actively engage companies to influence material ESG issues
- • Are collaborative actions by investors to maximize the impact of engagement working?
- • Aligning investment managers with asset owners’ real long-term interests
TBA, TBA, TBA
14:20 Retail Sector: Improving Brand Reputation Through the Integration of ESG Criteria in the Supply Chain
- Rebecca Lewis, Investment Analyst, Arisaig Partners – Singapore
16:20 Evaluating key Issues impacting ESG/CSR Data – Focus on implementation and Measurement Services
- • Tailoring ESG metrics to the unique challenges facing ESG Integration in Africa
- • What role can ESG metrics/data play in the assessment of sovereign bonds and debt capital markets
- • Enhance risk management and control in customer on-boarding and transaction due diligence
- Thomson Reuters
12:40 Integrated Reporting – How integrated is “Integrated Reporting” in Africa? Best Practice ESG Disclosure
Asset owners and investors with ESG criteria integrated into their investment process need relevant and comprehensive information pertaining to ESG practices of businesses under consideration for investment. Given the relative lack of standardized corporate data, irregular ESG reporting framework; how can relations at the company-investor interface be managed and improved? What current reporting framework works in Africa? How can international standards be adapted to make ESG reporting feasible and effective in Africa? What are the potential regional challenges ?
- Daniel Broby, Chief Investment Officer, Silk Invest
13:20 networking Lunch
16:00 Networking and Refreshment Break
17:00 Maximising Returns on Pensions and Retirement Funds Investment
Elias Masilela, Chief Executive Officer, Public Investment Corporation
17:20 End of 2nd Africa ESG Investment Forum
Attending Organisations (at xx August 2013, alphabetical)
Follow us on
"Your presentation was awesome!" - Editor, online investment forum
"It was great to see you at the conference. You did a stellar job with your segment – as always!" - Head of Investment Research Institute, South African asset consultant firm
"Graham brings energy, ideas and networks for solutions to complex challenges linking good business practice with good development practice. He is an exceptional facilitator of expert panels and groups of diverse stakeholders." - Manager, international financing facility, international organization, Geneva.
"Graham was extremely helpful in helping get up the curve on our sustainability initiative. Graham was very knowledgeable and insightful and allowed us to quickly get up the curve on Sustainability." - Chief Administrative Officer, Global Real Estate, trillion-dollar New York headquartered global institutional investor.
"For many investors, getting to grips with ESG issues in emerging markets is a top priority. Graham's work at PRI was crucial in encouraging new partnerships in diverse markets for this valuable work." - Executive Director, foremost responsible investment organization in Asia and former i-banking analyst.
“Graham is a very driven and passionate person to work with. His out-of-the-box thinking helped to market and increase brand awareness for KLDs Indices. We were also able to utilize his expertise in ESG Factors at our Annual Investment Symposium to hundreds of investment professionals across the United States. His friendly personality made working with him a joy.” - Institutional Sales, global investment data analytics provider.
“Graham is an excellent project manager with great leadership and creativity. While at KLD, he got to know each person's strength within a short period of time and brought out his/her best. Graham's leadership and passion for social responsibility were very inspiring. I highly recommend Graham and hope to have the opportunity to work with him again.” - MBA student, Boston.
“Graham is one of the best lecturers that I have been fortunate enough to have studied with. His style is uniquely intelligent, sharp and rich. With a wide range of contacts and highly resourceful, the sessions were riveting and especially lively, keeping everyone "on our toes" and stimulating us to learn and improve, to do more and better. I highly recommend Graham as a lecturer and professional, he is a truly outstanding change-agent and catalyser.” - MBA candidate, UK